I am a PhD student in the Computer Science Department, School of Computer Science, at Carnegie Mellon University with a research interest in database management systems (DBMSs), specifically “self-driving” systems. I am extremely fortunate to be advised by Andy Pavlo, and I am a member of the Database Group (CMU-DB) and Parallel Data Lab.
I previously completed a BS in Electrical and Computer Engineering in December 2020. Prior to graduate school, I worked at SingleStore (formerly MemSQL) for a year.
- Matthew Butrovich, Wan Shen Lim, Lin Ma, John Rollinson, William Zhang, Yu Xia, Andrew Pavlo. “Tastes Great! Less Filling! High Performance and Accurate Training Data Collection for Self-Driving Database Management Systems”. SIGMOD 2022.
- Andrew Pavlo, Matthew Butrovich, Lin Ma, Prashanth Menon, Wan Shen Lim, Dana Van Aken, and William Zhang. “Make Your Database System Dream of Electric Sheep: Towards Self-Driving Operation”. VLDB 2021. PDF
- Lin Ma, William Zhang, Jie Jiao, Wuwen Wang, Matthew Butrovich, Wan Shen Lim, Prashanth Menon, and Andrew Pavlo. “MB2: Decomposed Behavior Modeling for Self-Driving Database Management Systems”. SIGMOD 2021. PDF
- Ling Zhang, Matthew Butrovich, Tianyu Li, Yash Nannapanei , Andrew Pavlo, John Rollinson, Huanchen Zhang, Ambarish Balakumar, Daniel Biales, Ziqi Dong, Emmanuel Eppinger, Jordi Gonzalez, Wan Shen Lim, Jianqiao Liu, Lin Ma, Prashanth Menon, Soumil Mukherjee, Tanuj Nayak, Amadou Ngom, Jeff Niu, Deepayan Patra, Poojita Raj, Stephanie Wang, Wuwen Wang, Yao Yu, and William Zhang. “Everything is a Transaction: Unifying Logical Concurrency Control and Physical Data Structure Maintenance in Database Management Systems”. CIDR 2021. PDF
Carnegie Mellon University
- Teaching Assistant for 15-411: Compiler Design (Fall 2020)
- Teaching Assistant for 15-410: Operating System Design and Implementation (Fall 2019, Spring 2020)
I am fortunate to have an amazing partner who is super inspiring and an accomplished researcher.